One of the technologies I will be using and will need to create my project in a successful way is Adobe Lightroom Classic. I currently have version 12.1, but have to update to the most recent version, 12.2. I chose to discuss Adobe Lightroom Classic because it is a software used by many people in the photography industry and will be a very important factor in finalizing my work.
I have worked with Adobe Lightroom Classic before, however at the time we used a hard drive and my professor gave us setting adjustments to simplify the process of importing and exporting images. For this project in particular, I will need to master how to use the software without any help or preexisting settings.
- Importing & Exporting: I am aware of how to import and export images into and out of Adobe Lightroom Classic, but will need to master the organization aspect. Having a tactic when it comes to importing and exporting and creating a swift and organized platform will help me when it comes to selecting images and editing images.
- Modules: I am unfamiliar with some of the Modules within the software. One that will specifically matter to me that I am not familiar with is the Book module. This module will come in handy for me at the end of my project when I have my finalized ten images and want to have them printed out.
- Editing: I hardly worked with editing images in Lightroom Classic, so I will need to master different tools within the develop module such as color and tone.
It can be hard to see how a software within a computer can be social, however there are a few ways such as expression of self, influence on others, and sharing capabilities.
- Self Expression: Adobe Lightroom Classic is a social technology because it allows for people to express themselves in a unique way. It allows for people to take their images and add a more creative spin to it through different editing techniques.
- Influential: Adobe Lightroom Classic can be seen as an influential technology which leads it to being a social technology. By influential, I mean that others can be inspired by a finished product done on Adobe Lightroom Classic and be drawn to use the same software.
- Sharing: Adobe Lightroom Classic allows for multiple different ways of sharing images. One sharing capability allows for others to comment and give feedback.
Similar to seeing Adobe Lightroom Classic as social, it can be hard to identify ways that the software reflects cultural values. However, Adobe Lightroom Classic can create different expectations, can be limited to certain people, and contain certain elements to practice that aren’t accepted in other countries or cultures.
- Expectations: Adobe Lightroom Classic is an easy to use software that leads to successful and beautiful final images. However, it can cause higher expectations for people, expectations that may not be achievable because the software may not be accessible to them for different cultural reasons. Some may not be able to afford an Adobe subscription, some may not use a device that is compatible with the software, etc.
- Restrictions: Adobe Lightroom Classic only allows for 15 different languages other than English. While this seems like a good amount, this is still very restricting for certain people who do not speak one of these 16 languages.
- Editing: In some countries and cultures, the practice of editing images may not be accepted and editing is a main tool in Adobe Lightroom Classic.
Adobe Lightroom Classic has affordances that some other softwares similar do not have, including aspects such as availability offline, different shortcuts, and recommendations.
- Offline: The first affordance is the ability to work on the software and have my changes saved even when offline. This is important because it will allow me to work on the project from anywhere at any time needed.
- Shortcuts: As previously mentioned, there are ways to manage the settings within the software that can allow for shortcuts and a quicker way to speed up workflow.
- Recommended Presets: Adobe Lightroom Classic offers recommendations for edits based on photographs similar to the one you are currently working on. It shows how other photographers took a similar picture and processed it in Lightroom, allowing you to see different presets on your image and use someones preset if you wish.
While there are many wonderful affordances, there are also some constraints including glitches or bugs, less editing functions, and maintaining of previous shortcuts.
- Bugs: As with any software installed onto a computer, one can encounter different issues or bugs that need to be troubleshooted.
- Editing Functions: Adobe Lightroom Classic does have great editing functions, however if one were to open Photoshop they would see even more functions available. The important thing to note is that I also have Adobe Photoshop, so if I need to use that software as well, I can.
- Previous Shortcuts: Since my Adobe Lightroom Classic was last used in my Introductory Photography class, the settings we adjusted are still assigned in the application. I will need to research the best settings for what I am doing and go in and adjust them. If not, I am not sure my images would upload or organize properly.